Hainanese Chicken Rice is one of my favourite Malaysian hawker's foods.
This recipe feeds up to 8 people.
1.The Soup Pot
½ pot of water or 20 cups of water- boiled
1 whole chicken about 1.5 - 2kg – exfoliate the chicken with the salt
4-6 cloves of garlic – peeled and cut into half
Ginger 1 inch long – cut into 6-8 slices
2 bunch spring onion – cut into 1 inch long
1 Tbsp salt
2. The Chicken
2 Tbsp sesame oil – rub over the chicken to keep moist
3. The Rice (Cook with Rice Cooker or Pot on Stove)
3 cups of basmati rice (we used basmati in our home for its low GI, or Jasmine rice or whatever rice you uses at home)
4 cups chicken broth from the soup as per measurement on
rice cooker bowl
1 medium onion – chopped finely
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp salt
4. The Soup
¼ whole cabbage – cut into 1 inch
1 Carrot sliced diagonally
1-2 tsp salt to taste
Pepper to taste
4-6 lettuce leaves – cut into 1 inch long
½ cucumber cut diagonally
2 spring onion chopped
6. Dipping Sauce
2 Tbsp sesame Oil
2 Tbsp dark soya sauce
2 Tbsp light soya sauce
7. Chilli sauce
6 Tbsp Sriracha Chilli Sauce
4 cloves garlic – minced
Ginger – ¼ inch long – grated finely
2 tsp sugar
½ lime juice
1. Boil water in soup pot.
2. Clean and exfoliate chicken with salt.
3. Insert garlic, ginger and spring onion in chicken’s cavity.
4. Add whole chicken in pot and boil for 30 minutes.
5. Wash rice and set aside.
6. Heat pan and add 2 tbsp sesame oil. Add onion and cook till golden brown then set aside.
7. Prepare dipping sauce by adding sesame oil, dark soya sauce and light soya sauce. Mix together and set aside.
8. Prepare Chilli Sauce by adding Sriracha Chilli Sauce,minced garlic, grated ginger, sugar and lime juice. Mix well and set aside.
9. Remove Chicken from the soup pot and rest in the bowl with cold water.
10. Sieve soup and transfer back to the pot.
11. Cook the rice by adding the chicken broth, cooked onion in sesame oil and salt in the rice cooker. Note: If you do not have a rice cooker, just cook the pot on the stove.
12. Add cabbage and carrot to the soup pot and let it cook. Once vegetables soften, add salt and pepper to taste.
13. Remove Chicken from the cold water and dry with paper towel. Rub the sesame oil into the chicken.
14. Carve the chicken and set aside.
15. Check if vegetables are soft and soup boiled and the rice cooked.
16. Serve the rice with chicken and salad dressed in the dipping sauce and chilli sauce at the side with a hot bowl of vegetables soup garnished with spring onion.
Enjoy and please like, comment and let me know if you have enjoyed cooking and eating this recipe. If you would like to receive notifications of future releases, please click on the link below to subscribed and the bell to All and also to check out my other videos. ????